Our mental and physical health can be depend on each other, and both are essential for overall well-being.
We have all been told that to be physically healthy we need to:
- eat regularly and make good food choices. This includes drinking plenty of water daily.
- get enough sleep each night – in college its crucial to make sleep a priority.
- exercise regularly – this can be long walks on campus or around the indoor track at the gym, yoga, or a game of basketball with a friend – the important part is that you are doing something active for at least 30 minutes per day
But, what can we do to be mentally healthy?
A great first step is to be PHYSICALLY HEALTHY!!
1. Pace your work – workloads increase through the semester, utilize tools to help you schedule your day – for classes, for studying, to eat, to work out and to enjoy some free time
2. Have fun but be smart. It's okay to go to parties. But be aware of your surroundings, be responsible and know your limits if you choose to drink or use other drugs. Realize the use of illegal substances can potentially be very harmful. You are now responsible for your own decisions and actions. Be careful getting into an Uber/Lyft or a car with someone you do not know (ask who the ride is for, and check the car model/license plate)
3. Join something! Be it a sport or the school newspaper, social or collegiate clubs, or fundraising events like the Dance Marathon – get involved in your community. By getting involved, you will begin to feel a part of it and make friends.
By being engaged on campus you will be building a community around yourself.